Monday, September 15, 2014

The Suitcase Sheriff

Here is a picture of my suitcase. Three weeks, three days and three countries (4 if Scotland votes to secede), and this the only luggage that I was permitted according to my husband, aka The Suitcase Sheriff.  This was exceptionally challenging since temperatures will range between 90° in Spain and 50° in Scotland!
In his defense, my husband taught me years ago how to pack: One pair of shoes, wear your heaviest clothing, roll your packed clothing, always keep a toiletry bag packed at home with things like an extra (collapsible) toothbrush, etc.  We have used TravelPro brand luggage, upgrading a few years ago to the models with spinner wheels.
A few years ago, we took a trip with some good friends and my husband actually asked to inspect their bags before we left home. All kidding aside, his method of putting everything out on the bed and then putting half back...works.
This trip we took our luggage as carry-on during the flight to Europe and we have two more flights within Europe where we won't check our bags.  Plus, we traveled by train between Barcelona-Toledo, Toledo-Madrid, Madrid-Bilbao, and by bus from Bilbao-San Sebastian, and both a train from San Sebastian to the Spain-France border, then a bus to St. Jean de Luz. Trust me, there was no room for a bigger bag and I wouldn't have had the strength in me to carry anything heavier. 
So… for any of you expecting me to bring you home a souvenir….I am sorry…. The Suitcase Sheriff would never allow it.

No comments:

Post a Comment