Thursday, September 4, 2014

San Francisco

San Francisco was the first stop on my sabbatical tour for one reason, to return to the Fairmont Hotel high on top of Nob Hill. Twenty-five years ago as a, coincidentally, twenty-five year old newlywed, I walked from the fog-filled city into the warmth and opulence of this famous hotel. Memories of that gold lobby with its plush red velvet trimmings remind me of my honeymoon. Beginning with the Fairmont, it was the trip of a lifetime with first-class travel all the way to Hawaii and back.
So now, with our twenty-fifth anniversary a week away, we flew to San Francisco. Never a disappointment, US Airways rewarded our loyalty to them and upgraded us to First Class for our anniversary trip. Having a meal on china dishes with silver flatware helped pass the time on the five hour flight west. We arrived early in the evening to a surprisingly clear and temperate city by the bay. Even more surprising than the weather was the renovated lobby of the Fairmont. Gone are the bright red trimmings and in their place are cool sapphire blues and slate grey in an art deco style. One thing that obviously did not change at the Fairmont is their quality of service.
The staff at the Fairmont was outstanding. Our room rate included breakfast and we were waited on hand and foot as we lingered over a pot of tea in the Lounge each morning. The concierge was a constant source of helpful tips such as where to find the shortest line for a cable car and a casual, but quality restaurant in Chinatown. We covered a lot of ground in the city. In addition to Chinatown, we visited: the Ferry Building, North Beach, Union Square, Coit Tower, Chestnut Street, Fisherman's Wharf, Ghirardelli Square and even a bike ride across the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito.
Another stop was a Giants game in AT&T Park. We went to a game on our honeymoon, so why not on our anniversary? The story goes that we were on our way to Hawaii for our honeymoon so I had to wear every piece of clothing in my suitcase and I was still freezing in Candlestick Park which, if you did not know, was in a blustery location right on the bay. AT&T Park was much warmer and is one of the premier new ballparks. Thanks to Jim Darby at Easton, we had great seats and wonderful company as we watched the Giants embarrass the Brewers 15-5.
Five days in the Fairmont has been heavenly. I did notice on the last night I had a nightmare that I had to go into the office for a deposition. Somehow I think I associated my thoughts on returning home with a return to the office. It still doesn't seem real that I am off work for another SIX MONTHS!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment