Friday, January 23, 2015

Bali

Bali, that faraway place with the exotic-sounding name, is part of Indonesia and an easy flight from my last destination in Jakarta. Those two places could not be more different. If Jakarta is the financial capital of Indonesia, then Bali is the getaway capital of Indonesia.


 
As soon as I stepped off the plane I noticed it…how sweet the air smelled. I thought maybe they pumped the flowery scent through the airport's ventilation system. I noticed it again during the car ride to our hotel, and again in the hotel lobby. I am convinced that the strongest of our senses is the sense of smell. When I remember my trip to Bali, it will be the fragrant blooms that permeated the air that I will remember the most.


My husband had a few Hilton Honors points remaining, and looking online we found a property in Bali where we could redeem points-The Conrad Bali. Surprisingly, the rack rate at this indulgent property is not outrageously expensive…the exchange rate favorable for the U.S. Dollar with $1.00 equal to $12,500 Rupiah.



We entered the hotel through the expansive open-air lobby with the high-pitch roof. Directly ahead of us was a terrace overlooking the enormous swimming pool in the foreground with the beach on the horizon. Our room was on the first floor, with a patio that opened onto our private patio with table and chairs. The three steps down from the patio spilled into the pool, a meandering lagoon where you can swim for miles. 

I think my astrological sign suits me. I am an Aquarius and I love to be in the water. Here it was so easy to jump into the pool and swim a few laps since it was conveniently outside my bedroom door. (See my blog on Camping in Culebra and you should understand why staying at the Hilton is how I prefer to camp on the beach.)




As much as I LOVED my hotel, we decided to actually leave the property during the day. My husband's host in Jakarta was adamant that we call his driver and tour the island. "If it's your first time in Bali, you have to tour the island" he said. Wow, did he give us great advice.

The first day we went to a see a musical production. The actors were dressed in traditional Balinese costumes. The Play represented a fight between a good spirit and an evil (monster) spirit. In one of the five acts, dancers appear and dance to the beat of the live Balinese music.


After the show, we went toured one of the many ancient temples on the island. Along the way, we noticed a number of small wicker boxes holding flower petals and we were told that the day was a holy one. In observance, women bring small offerings of flowers, fruit and cakes and place them outdoors.

Our next stop was the Ubud Monkey Forest. (See my blog by the same name.)

The second day we stayed at the hotel in the morning, opting instead for a late afternoon tour. Our driver took us to the Uluwatu Temple which is perched on a cliff overlooking white-capped waves breaking against the rocky shore. If you notice our long skirts, they belong to the temples who offer them to tourists since custom requires that men and women cover their legs before entering a temple.



Nearby, we sat in an open amphitheater and watched traditional Balinese fire dancers perform with breathtaking views of the sun setting over the ocean. 





Our final stop that evening was to a stretch of beach lined with one dozens of identical restaurants specializing in grilled seafood. Our table was a few feet from the ocean, with our chairs in the sand. We ordered the sampler platter, which was more food than we wanted but still a bargain in Rupiah.


No comments:

Post a Comment