Monday, March 30, 2015

The End


Blogging in Cambodia


My six-month sabbatical has come to an end.  I have been back at work for a month now, and struggling to find the time to sit and type my final blogs from our last trip.

I can't say that I am excited about the office.  However, I think I am good at what I do and am happy to share my twenty-five years of legal experience with clients that appreciate my skills and dedication.

I must praise my partners at Peacock Keller for the sabbatical program which has been in place for over a decade now.  Chuck Keller, a former president of Rotary International, told me how he had met a lawyer from a small firm out west that was committed to allowing its partners to perform mission work.  The remaining partners would pay the salary of the partner who took a leave of absence for service, knowing that the other partners would support him when it was his turn.  From that concept, our sabbatical program was born.

Each partner in our firm tailored his or her sabbatical to meet their individual needs.  Since my husband and I were recent "empty nesters" and he travels frequently for business reasons, it made sense for me to fill my sabbatical with travel.  I think my husband enjoyed my company and I know I enjoyed seeing firsthand what he does for a living.

Our travels also afforded me the opportunity to learn about new cultures and see famous destinations and important sites.  I made it to the top ten art museums in the world (See my blog about Madrid and Los Angeles), one of the best beaches in the world (See my blog on Culebra) and I loved Siem Reap which was recently voted the second best travel destination in the world by Trip Advisor.Top Travel Destinations 2015

Sabbatical was also a time for me to see family and friends in faraway places.  I was overwhelmed by the generosity of all of those whom we went to visit.  In six months I felt like I had a lifetime of catching up with acquaintances old and new.

Finally, my sabbatical was a time for me to be myself.  For once I wasn't a lawyer, a mother or even a community volunteer.  I had no responsibilities and was just a happy, free-spirited individual who didn't even bother to blow-dry her curly hair.  Here is a picture of me prior to sabbatical, and then Sabbatical Sue snorkeling in the Florida Keys.  It was a glorious six months that I will never forget!





No comments:

Post a Comment